Casseroles are always convenient to make. They’re simple, fast, and simple because you can cast them in the oven to let it cook. This southern summer squash casserole recipe by Chef Buck is great as a side dish. One thing about squash, there’s a lot of excess water that comes out of these vegetables. At first, I was thinking about how watery this casserole can turn out to be, but the breadcrumbs or saltine crackers will soak up the water. I love the toasted breadcrumbs that are on top of casseroles and the layers of cheesiness from every bite. This is a great recipe for the summer.
- 2 lbs yellow squash sliced lean
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 egg
- 8 oz sour cream
- 8 oz bread crumbs or saltine crackers
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (or use your favorite cheese)
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp oil
- salt and pepper to taste
First, slice your squash in lean pieces and place them in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Make sure your skillet is heated up with a combo of oil and butter. Saute onions with the squash too. Soften up the vegetables so the excess water can cookout. Once they are cooked, transfer the veggies to a strainer and drain off the water.
Next, in a large bowl, whisk an egg, add in the squash, onion, cheddar cheese, carrot, sour cream, Italian seasoning, and half of breadcrumbs or crackers. Stir all the ingredients together until mixed. Bake the squash casserole for 30 minutes at 350F.
I love squash, but I’ve never had it as a casserole. This is a great recipe for vegetarians or if you’re looking to eat more vegetables. I cognize so many people struggle to eat vegetables, and they normally will eat it if there’s cheese combined. With this recipe, it’s one that has ingredients that I can see a lot of people liking because it’s creamy.
- How To Make Sugar Bowls – De.Chromeonlinegames.com - 20 September 2020
- 17 Beautiful Mediterranean Living Room Designs For Your Home – De.Chromeonlinegames.com - 20 September 2020
- Healthy Apple Pie Muffins Recipe – De.Chromeonlinegames.com - 19 September 2020